Mental health is something we all have. Some people have described it as a feeling of contentment, well-being, being able to make decisions, being comfortable with ourselves and with others, being able to laugh, have fun and enjoy life. It is important to look after our mental health.
Here are some things that help you to maintain good mental health, and which can help us when we start to feel down:
- Get involved and try new things
- Keep active and eat healthily
- Appreciate what you have
- Accept yourself for who you are
- Develop your creative side
- Stay in touch with and invest time in friends and family
- Talk to someone you trust
- Find some time each day to relax
- Set little goals and work towards them
- Do not drink alcohol or use illicit drugs
- Ask for, and accept, help
Everyday stresses with work, school, family and friends can make you irritable, unmotivated or withdrawn. This is normal and these feelings usually pass. However, if they don’t go away, or if you notice changes in your behaviour or the behaviour of someone you know, talk to someone you trust about your concerns or call a confidential helpline.
If you notice such changes in yourself or others, it might feel a bit scary, but don’t worry – help is available. Talk to someone and ask them to help you to find help.
Things to look out for may include:
- Withdrawing from friends, family, school or work
- Change in mood or unusual responses to situations
- Changes in sleep patterns, sleeping too much or too little
- Changes in eating patterns, eating too much or too little
- Doing things that don’t make sense to others
- Seeing or hearing things that others don’t
For further information about mental health, please contact or browse the following:
Disclaimer: Please be aware that the information in this section is not intended as a substitute for clinical diagnosis or to replace the advice of a medical professional. If concerned, please contact your family doctor or phone the Samaritans on 116 123, or visit www.yourmentalhealth.ie.
Registered Charity Number 20204828 / CHY 22724